What is a will?
A will is a legal document that outlines ones wishes when they ultimately pass on (dies). It is mainly used to distribute the property of deceased person i.e. who should inherit the deceased person’s property when they die. Also provides guardianship and care of children when one dies.
Elements of will:
- Creator of the will MUST be over 18 years old
- It SHOULD be written or hand typed (tip: Oral wills are difficult to execute)
- There should be a statement that says it is the creators will
- Will MUST have one provision for property distribution
- Will SHOULD provide appointment of a guardian for minors
- Creator MUST appoint the executor of the will.
- Creator and 2 Witnesses MUST sign the will